Monday, March 26, 2018

Experimenting Painting On Plastic

Hi Everyone I've been so busy with my new house. I'm still working on painting the kitchen cabinets. What a lot of work that is. In between snow and rain as well as frigid temperatures I've been raking and bagging up leaves. That has been a lot of work also.

 I picked up some Americana metallic paint which comes in a glass wide mouth jar. I thought I was buying the matte and it wasn't even though the colors come in the matte. I have some ideas but thought I would play first.

I wanted to see about painting on plastic. My first attempt was a disaster. I took a outlet plate which is cracked. The first time I didn't sand the plastic. When I put the second coat on the first coat peeled off. I was able to wash the paint off and start again.


A stencil brush, paint and plate


After sanding with a 80 grit piece of sandpaper I painted with the stencil brush using circular motions.

This is the plate up. I  painted soft gold and then dry brushed vintage brass. I need to use extra fine sandpaper around the openings in the plate. As well as see what happens if I lightly sand it on the front with extra fine sandpaper.

I sanded and ended up putting another coat of paint on. I think it looks a little better.


Thank you for stopping by. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job.
    Hugs,
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks perfect. Too bad you had to learn the hard way. The gold is very classy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)